Do not be alarmed. The CDC has not made a new claim about the spread of COVID. Your church cannot contract the virus, but many church facilities have been infected or—better said—impacted by the results of COVID.
COVID-19 has several side effects we may not have fully realized yet. The changes we have been required to adopt have left behind a wave of long-lasting results—acute awareness of air quality, increased usage of technology, and more.
For church facilities, there are several pros and cons we believe will also impact how we do “church,” such as:
- An increase in online giving
- More online services
- Less in-person attendance every week
- Added “tribal” connection to groups and other churches other than just our local church
The Aftermath for Church Facilities
As you look around your church facilities, think through these effects of COVID. Here are a few examples of side effects we are seeing:
- Higher space utilization: Groups used to default to just a few rooms. COVID made it apparent that there are many good options. More options may need more HVAC systems running at the same time and more general cleaning.
- Capacity changes: Many churches have decreased capacity to accommodate social perceptions and norms. Again, this may require more time and manpower to maintain.
- Technological needs: There has been a greater focus on technological requirements, and churches have responded with upgrades to support the demand, such as online giving and virtual meetings. This may mean either more internet bandwidth to support or a potential impact on what you have access to.
- Appreciation for deep cleaning: Thorough cleaning has become a priority. People have been grateful for this and recognize the efforts far more.
- Preventative maintenance realization: With increased wear and tear in certain areas coupled with higher cleaning frequencies, many church facilities managers have had to rethink preventative maintenance plans and increase the frequency.
As we transition away from the thick of COVID-19, I believe we will see long-lasting changes in operations. Do you feel equipped to handle the “new normal?” Our team of seasoned experts is here to help you along the way; just give us a call. Onward!